As president of Tampa accounting firm Schellman & Company, Bizwomen Headliner Avani Desai deals with topics like emerging healthcare issues and privacy concerns for organizations, so distractions come with the territory.
But for an hour each day, she puts her messaging apps on "do not disturb" to make sure she has 60 minutes of completely focused time.
Desai said she spends her work day focusing on growth strategies, strategic client and market development, industry analysis and new services for the firm.
Here are her answers to Bizwomen's 7 Questions:
1. First job? My parents owned a dry cleaner from the time I turned five until I was 16. So every weekend, my parents would take me to the cleaners, and I became really great at packing and folding clothes. Around age 12, they put me on the front desk, and it taught me about client service and how to deal with difficult discussions.
2. How do you clear your head? Running and Orangetheory Fitness
3. Dream travel destination? Fiji
4. Favorite hack? Do not Disturb on your phone and your work instant messages. I spend an hour every morning on DND. I hit the moon button on my iPhone and I am completely focused and much less distracted. We want to always answer phone calls, instant messages, emails…but an hour is doable, and now, for me — necessary.
5. What do you always pack in your suitcase? Noise-cancelling headphones
6. Favorite TV (or streaming service) binge? "Scandal" — Love Olivia Pope’s strong attitude and her fashion sense!
7. If there’s one thing I should know about you, it’s … I believe failure is necessary to not only appreciate successes, but to be innovative.